Roving Solar Technical Engineer
Closing on 25/ Feb / 2023 - After:
JOB TITLE : Roving Solar Technical Engineer
Report to Junior Project Manager
LOCATION: Multi Cities (Aden, Lahj, Hadramout, Marib)
ABOUT Building Foundation for Development:
BFD is a non-governmental and non-profit Yemeni organization, that was established in 2014. BFD is a leading humanitarian-based and development-oriented organization, which over the years extended its coverage to several governorates, with a mission of working in a humane and transparent manner for the vulnerable groups in society and the affected groups through the implementation of sustainable development and relief programs of the highest quality. Responding to all areas of humanitarian sectors, BFD aspires to provide an integrated humanitarian and development response to conflict-affected areas through a professional, neutral, transparent approach, and through adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Technical SOLAR ENERGY Engineer will be responsible for the designing and technical implementation of WASH, education, health, and agriculture project activities and will be responsible for the identification, implementation, monitoring, and reporting on construction project activities in the assigned districts. S/he will work along with the team members and will be responsible to coordinate and establish the linkages among all the project team members, groups, stakeholders, and line agencies. S/he will provide timely, accurate, reports to the Project Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine the strategic direction of the programme in the short and medium term and map out activities, and contribute to the preparation of project proposals and budgets as necessary;
- Work with the Project Manager to make weekly plans and field visits.
- Prepare and implement all of the Solar Energy assessments related to the project’s activities in terms of the project’s selection, designing, prepare the BoQs in English and Arabic, draft the tenders, conduct quality checks, and the contracts if requested;
- Ensure that Bills of Quantities and Designs are technically and culturally suitable for the specificities of the targeted location;
- Ensure the reliability and accuracy of all construction project related documentations (BoQs, Power/solar energy system designs, work plans, etc.).
- Conduct daily site visits and monitoring and give technical advice to the field team and communities;
- Ensure the quality and efficiency of all field work done relevant to SOLAR ENERGY rehabilitation/construction activities and tasks in line with the comprehensive execution plan, MoUs, SOLAR ENERGY standards and requirements to ensure high technical quality;;
- Supervision of installation of solar pumping systems and components in the field effectively and efficiently.
- Testing and calibration of the solar items through universal standards and certified methods.
- Making sure the installed systems can operate reliably and will perform consistently in specified operating environments.
- Coordinate closely with community development committees (CDC) and other stakeholders for smooth running for construction sites;
- Act as a clear communication channel between BFD program, contractors, sub-contractors, stakeholders (Local Water and Sanitation Councils, GARWSP, Ministry of Health, Water Cluster, other INGOs, etc.), and the project beneficiaries (where relevant);
- Ensure that planned activities are successfully implemented according to BFD’s quality standards and SOPs;
- Perform regular work inspections to assure quality of works and compatibility with agreed specification, standard and drawings;
- Assure safety of the works and proper usage of PPE by BFD staff and monitor if contractors following the safety standards and rules;
- Prepare all other report upon request by line manager;
- Process data and information from field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data;
- Ensure cross-program integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices for other BFD programs;
- Closely coordinate with BFD Construction and WASH teams
- Communicate with the line manager and relevant staff for any difficulties linked to project implementation and propose solutions;
- Facilitate Monitoring and Evaluation exercises in cooperation with the MEAL unit.
Project follow up
- Prepare with contractor and respective authority/owner for the handing over of each site when the project is near to finish;
- Check and validate with Project Manager each invoice presented by contractor for the quantities that implemented on the site before making the required payment;
- Provide relevant technical input and feedback expertise/guidance to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained during project implementation (design and construction phases),
- Collaborate with the MEAL Unit to assess need, monitor activities, and evaluate programme progress;
- Ensure that lessons learned in the course of implementation are integrated into the programme to ensure that it remains responsive and relevant;
- Liaise with the relevant Cluster meeting
Reporting & Documentation:
- Collect photos of program implementation and ensure that donor visibility is respected; Assist in the identification and location of beneficiaries when requested;
- Fill in daily progress report, and writing reports in weekly and monthly basis as requested to all relevant departments (program, logistics, MEAL…);
- Report on the implementation of activities as per specific program and donor requirements;
- Maintain an efficient, organized system of paperwork and reporting for field work, and Supporting data entry, documentation and the preparation of documents.
- To hand over/ the final completion report for each assets’ creation and filling documents.
- Complete and sign work Completion Certificates, verifying that works have been completed to specifications contained in BoQs and contracts;
- To perform accurate filing of all processed documents, monthly consolidated filing of key project documents in the office;
- To prepare, on demand, summaries and reports of activities or technical draws according to BFD needs and reflecting the most accurate data of the activities developed;
- Comply all BFD’s policies (Safeguarding policy, Code of conduct, Child protection, Safety & Security policy.) and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Comply with BFD’s policies and practice with respect to BENFS protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of safeguarding.
Experience and Qualifications
- A university degree in engineering BSc in Power Engineering or related field;
- Minimum 3 years working experience as a Power Engineer, either mechanical or electrical.
- Advanced computer skills (AutoCAD, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Good analytical skills, process design skills and project planning and management skills;
- Ability to work on computerized systems and applications, preferably (Enterprise Resources Planning Systems, Projects & Proposal Writing Systems);
- willing to travel to other governorates on occasion if necessary;
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, as well as the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with a variety of audiences (e.g. beneficiaries, community committees, and other team members);
- Leadership and organizational skills are required;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, work efficiently under pressure and in changing circumstances;
- Fluency in Arabic and strong English skills required;
- Understanding of the principles of non-governmental organizations is an asset;
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours;
- Organize personal work load and achieve results in time;
- Ability to work under pressure and in a stressful environment;
- Ability to communicate with people and create friendly environment.
Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS): The role holder is required to carry out the duties in adherece to the Core Humanitarian Standards, the values and principles outlined in BFD’s policies such as Code of Conduct, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation and other internal policies and guidelines.
Equal Opportunities The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the BFD Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures
BFD doesn’t charge any fees for recruitment and doesn’t have any relationship with recruitment agencies